Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Author's corner: "Fresh Hope...Cleveland" by Nanci J. Gravill

In Fresh Hope…Cleveland, author Nanci J. Gravill shares information and successful strategies that helped her navigate through five years of difficulties. People think because she had breast cancer her book’s about cancer. “Oh no!” she tells them. Fresh Hope…Cleveland is all about the great things she discovered along her journey. It’s about RESOURCES. The subtitle is, Resources to Help You Navigate through Unsettled Times.

Is your book strictly for Cleveland?

“No. There are about 12 things in the first section that relate to Cleveland. But they’re the kind of resources you can find in any city. From the beginning, we wanted to do the book as a template with various versions for other cities. That may happen in the future…

Fresh Hope…Cleveland gives ideas on how to s-t-r-e-t-c-h your dollars along with creative living ideas that will inspire you. In a sense the book provides wisdom at a time when you may need it most. Waiting for answers and opportunities to arrive is part of life. But how will you wait? How will you cope?

This practical guide and workbook shows inventive ways to manage those challenges along with healthcare services, job and mortgage information, emergency contacts, prayer hotline numbers, books, classes at churches, and more. All are backed up by God’s Word. Because the most important resource you could ever possess is a relationship with God.”

Nanci has included workspace areas to record your own ideas, charming vignettes, and quotes full of inspiration. Fresh Hope…Cleveland is endorsed by a pastor/clinical social worker and a Christian psychologist along with several people from a focus group she conducted.

What led you to write Fresh Hope...Cleveland?

“I was diagnosed with breast cancer in late 2003. As a result of difficulties from surgery, I had over two years of physical therapy and worked with the Bureau of Vocational Rehabilitation to try and return to work...

 However, my work became writing a book. I didn’t return to work in the traditional sense after cancer. As a substitute teacher at the time, I didn’t have a paycheck coming in. That caused me to go through all my investments, savings and retirement funds. Food stamps and food pantries put food on the table for me for those years. I also hunted around for creative way to  s-t-r-e-t-c-h what money I had left. At the same time I found healthy ways to manage my emotions and deal with the circumstances in my life. Counseling also helped me deal with the loss of my friends, family, church, and health insurance. The losses I suffered made me stronger and caused me to rely totally upon God!”

What’s the central theme of the book, if you had to name one or two things?

“One, you play a big part in your own success – no matter how difficult things are. You do your part and God will do His. Two, you are stronger than you think. The way you view your own experience, along with your attitude, those things are key to building a strong life. No matter what happens, don’t give up! As the Bible indicates, “All things work together for good.” I can say without a doubt – they do!”

Fresh Hope...Cleveland is published by WestBow Press, a division of Thomas Nelson Publishers and is available in both eBook and soft-cover, printed versions here at WestBow.

Nanci concludes: “I have three wonderful nieces who live in Seattle, Washington. The book is dedicated to these three inspiring young women.” Find Nanci’s blog at nancigravill.wordpress.com.

(See info on my own books in the near right-hand column.)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Ms. Young regrets she can no longer accept Anonymous comments at this blogsite, due to incidents of extreme spamming.

20-20 Faith Sight © 2009-2011 Sheryl Young. Template by OurBlogTemplates.com, Optimized by DeluxeTemplates.net, Concept and design by April Lorier.