Saturday, May 23, 2009

Dear Adam Lambert, Christian Conservatives Love You, Too!

Dear Adam Lambert,

Please know that Christian conservatives love you, too! I was so saddened to hear about the gay community blaming homophobia for your runner-up finish on American Idol. I'm a Christian conservative who loves your talent and the cool way you always look, whether rocker or Elvis-style. I liked Kris Allen, but based on your phenomenal voice, I thought you should win.

Adam, you come across as such a nice guy – I bet if I could interview you right now, you’d ask your gay fans all over the country to stop claiming homophobia as the cause of this American Idol upset. I’m sure you would tell them that generalizing about all Christians is unfair, and puts forward the very intolerance that gays themselves are fighting. And you would testify that the Christian members of the American Idol Season 8 cast treated you with love and respect. For that matter, maybe we don't know that you're a Christian yourself!

If I can judge by the Christians I know, then 99.99999% of all conservative Christians love you, Adam Lambert, as a person. AND – if any true Christian does hate gay people, they are wrong, a hundred times wrong.

Adam, if you and I had an ongoing, mutual respect relationship where I felt I’d earned the right to do so, I would share with you what the Bible says about men, women and sexuality. I believe in one-on-one conversations, not someone yelling verses at the gay masses or any other group.

I appeal to the gay community by saying this: Gays and lesbians have gone through much effort to make sure everyone knows they are just people, like everyone else. Then if we’re all the same, maybe sometimes any person can lose a competition just because they lose it fairly, or because of some voting glitch. Maybe any person can lose a job because they didn’t perform it well, or because of the economic crunch - not because of their orientation. Maybe any person can get told something they don’t like to hear. There’s not always a card to play. Everyone doesn’t always win. It’s called life.

This may sound like a cliché, but I have gay friends who don’t agree with all these “homophobia” theories. They know where I stand biblically, and – surprisingly – we still love each other and respect each other.

1 comments:

Sheryl Young March 1, 2012 at 1:23 PM  

Anonymous, I appreciate your comment. And yes, I would do so if I was his "real friend" but I don't know him personally! That is why I included this paragraph above: "Adam, if you and I had an ongoing, mutual respect relationship where I felt I’d earned the right to do so, I would share with you what the Bible says about men, women and sexuality. I believe in one-on-one conversations, not someone yelling verses at the gay masses or any other group." The purpose of writing this post was to counter all the shouts of how wrong he was that were going on at that time. It did nothing but put a bad taste in peoples' mouths about Christianity again. Of course, you and I would pray he would come out of that behavior, and I would tell it to him frankly if I had a real connection with him...as I do the gay people whom I know personally. But honestly, love the sinner and hate the sin is a worn-out cliche that gay people are no longer impressed with. We must pray their change comes about by way of their heart, not by hurting their ears.

Post a Comment

Ms. Young regrets she can no longer accept Anonymous comments at this blogsite, due to incidents of extreme spamming.

20-20 Faith Sight © 2009-2011 Sheryl Young. Template by OurBlogTemplates.com, Optimized by DeluxeTemplates.net, Concept and design by April Lorier.